The Average Life of a Fruit Fly

Ever set one of these up before?  It’s a fruit fly trap.  A paper funnel in a Ball jar with vinegar and rotten fruit in the bottom.  We probably caught two hundred fruit flies … really.  Our kitchen was loaded.  And what does my animal-loving twelve year old do with the jar … she takes it outside and releases them into the “wild”.  And the world is now a better place in her eyes …
Does anyone else have a kid bent on saving the world from savages like me that make traps to kill fruit flies??   Tell me – have they ever done anything to top this?

BTW, yes I do usually try and post about more “meaningful” topics … or about the wide-wide-wonderful-world of writing and publishing BUT this … well, this was just to darn good to pass up … plus, I know my daughter will be thrilled to know she “made” the Internet!!

1. Thanks for the follow. Great blog! I am followering back

2. Coley says:

True story: My mom used to pay me 10 cents for every fruitfly I killed! She HATED them! haha

3. Angela says:

We used Pheromone strips at my office when we had a bad case of fruit flies… they worked! You can get them at your local hardware store.

Good luck!
    Your new follower,
    Angela @ Benchmarksandbabies.com

4. Sean Marie says:

Hi, new follower! :)

Thanks for sharing this nifty little trick with us.

5. kenmei says:

thank you so much for visiting on tuesday's blog hop. Sorry for the delay!
    I'm your newest follower.
    kenmeiazuamga at gmail dot com

6. Raven says:

I think that's such a great idea. What a creative loving child you have. I love what you wrote on your header.

Thanks for coming by and following. I'm following back.

7. Heather says:

What a great idea! We are starting to get them coming in for some reason, and I can't figure out why.

8. Ciao Mama's says:

Wow that is pretty awesome. I am following you back thanks for coming by my blog. The fish was wild caught salmon and halibut we do. I do not buy farm raised fish that's why it is so pricey. Overall groceries seemed to have gone up the last couple of weeks!

9. JRFrugalMom says:

That is pretty neat, I have never heard of this before, but it surely is a simple…and frugal solution.

I came by to follow you back, but I cannot see the google friend connect widget.

10. I have actually never made one of those, but I have taken a mason jar and put vinger in it then covered it with that Glad cling wrap. After I did that, I punched holes in it. The fruit flies could get in, but couldn't get out! I might try this next though.