Once a Stupid Adult, Always a Stupid Adult

“Now shut up before I slap you silly!”

That’s the sentence. The one that turned my attention from laundry folding (well, I don’t really fold – it’s more like tossing of clothes into separate baskets designated with each child’s name). All the same, it was the “Now shut up before I slap you silly!” sentence that lured me from my task and beckoned me to have a seat next to my five year old. He was watching a movie – a DISNEY movie … a classic … a show that I, and possibly you, watched dozens of times as a child and never so much as got a second look from an adult – let a lone a screening. And so I sat. And I watched as a cartoon “child” was locked into a bird cage and taunted and threatened by an overweight gypsy. (And for those of you that are thinking it was Hansel and Gretel, it was not. That was Grimm, not Disney.)

As the movie continued and my adult mind wandered through assorted analogies, I began to wonder, possibly to deeply, about what the hell I was really watching. I mean maybe all the symbolism I was clued into didn’t really exist. Maybe my 21st century brain was making it all up. Maybe the 1940’s film just appeared laced with unpleasant imagery because I was watching it in 2011. (Yes, this post was originally written two years ago.)

Maybe. BUT. There was Pleasure Island – a place where all boys could go and enjoy gambling, smoking, getting drunk and destroying property without any real significant repercussion – unless you call making a jackass of yourself and then turning into a real donkey only to be sold to work in circuses and salt mines, a repercussion. (DON’T DO IT … it’s hard to resist, I know, but don’t skip ahead to the part where I reveal which movie I am referringmajor Kudos if you’ve already figured it out!)

In all of Walt’s classic movies there is a moral lesson being delivered … (although I’m still not sure what we were suppose to have learned from the beginning scene in Bambi) …  although harsh by many standards, still the lessons depicted in this hour long feature – as well as other Disney movies – are lessons worth heeding:

“If you fart around and waste your life now, then you’ll be a jackass working in the salt mines as an adult.” A fate, unfortunately, that some children unknowingly and unthinkingly choose.

AND …

“A stupid kid can grow into a wise adult. However, a stupid adult usually stays stupid.” So give a kid a break and help them make the right choices now, before it’s too late.

All lessons and jackasses aside, I think, that after watching this beautifully restored copy of Carlo Collodi’s novel, that I agree with the folks at The Journal of Cartoon Overanalyzations  (yes, it really exists, click this link) in that perhaps The Adventures of Pinocchio would be better suited for a high school career planning class than for a five year old. Maybe then there’d be less jackasses roaming free … at least that’s my take. What do you think?

Advertisements

1. I am really thankful to the owner of this site who has shared this enormous paragraph at at this time.

2. baka8 says:

By the way, should I be assuming that I am “stupid,” a “stupid adult,” or “an adult” or should I misspell that and accuse myself to/of being a dolt?

3. baka8 says:

As soon as I “blogged” the French stuff I thought, then I thunk…”Les Stooges trois.” But it didn’t bug me too much cause I was able to sleep, all the same.

4. baka8 says:

How about a little to a lot of anal i zing of Walt Disney’s Adventures of a little girl in Wonderland. (you may want to watch out for pot holes and white rabbits).

1. snosler says:

Personally I was – and still am – a huge fan of the Jaberwok!

Shauna Nosler The Flavored Word

1. baka8 says:

But Alice’s restaurant has a million and 1 connotations. No, a million and 2. It is Really Too cool squared.

5. baka8 says:

And in the distant background, as undies slowly BUTT surely filled bins, I distinkly hoid the, the familiar “nyuuuk, nyuuuk, nyuuuk” of Larry, Moe and Curly Joe, (one for each, and…uh… All Fer One), as only that Main French Stooge, and Muskateer, “D’artagnon” would would echo as he waved that pointy wand around!

1. baka8 says:

Actually, you kinda got to be a mad hatter to be a mom anyhow. I guess that is one of those things only bachelors say.

2. baka8 says:

Les trois stooges?

3. snosler says:

Oui. Mais je suis ne comprehnde pas – sorry but my auto correct doesn’t like me texting in French.

Shauna Nosler The Flavored Word

4. baka8 says:

Adolts say: No texting in French! I’m glad I am not really an adult, I don’t speak French, I ( can’t text in any language, and…and…I am crazier than the Mad Hatter!

6. Praveen says:

I also came to watch Pinocchio in January this year. And I too went into a over-analysis mode, ripping through the scenes to understand the symbolism. All in all, I really whatever analysis I came up with & it agrees to yours. :)

1. snosler says:

Good to know I wasn’t the only one … it really is very VERY strange!

1. baka8 says:

sorry snosler, but I made an innocent comment on this site and was called a moron. I apparently offended a woman (I believe it was a woman because of the name she used) who doesn’t have the courage to confront me. I will not make the same mistake if I can help it so sayonara, bye bye, adios …auf viterzen (or something like that) . I don’t think that behavior should be tolerated.

2. snosler says:

Ummm … I called someone a moron – but it wasn’t aimed at you … your comments, even as eccentric as they are, are a welcome puzzle for my mind :)

Shauna Nosler The Flavored Word

3. baka8 says:

I don’t mean to be a stick in the mud, but I think that it is not real cool. Too bad, I liked this site.

4. baka8 says:

By the way, good luck to you and your family (but it looks like you pretty much have it all under control).

7. Mommy Bags says:

Disney has always been weird half the time they have these creepy “inside” things going on little pervy…

8. Lane says:

I have a tendency to overanalyze everything. Ever since my daughter was born, I find myself overanalyzing the shows she watches, from Disney movies to BabyFirst TV. One day we were watching an old episode of the Flintstones and I was horrified! The writers certainly had no notion of what a feminist is or any belief in equal rights for men and women. Yes, I got that from a cartoon. I think that a lot of what were once considered “kid shows” aren't such by today's standards.

9. Hi Shauna. I am following you now. No your follow did not come through. I checked my brother's blog since they are put in next to each other on the hops and his went through, not sure how you had to follow. Would you mind coming back by and using the GFC. I know a pain as I've had to refresh as many as 10 times on people's page, but I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

10. Hi Shauna –

Thanks for stopping by – maybe this is one of the reasons I hated Pinnochio as a kid? It's the one Disney movie I just really never liked… I thought it was scary and weird. My 4 year old perception matches my 26 year old perception… ha.

Oh, the little sneaky Disney tricks. The original cover of the The Little Mermaid still gets me every time. Disney pervs.. ;)

Hope your have a good weekend!

11. slamdunk says:

Wow, I would not have thought about the symbolism in Pinocchio. The kids have been watching classic Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry–I'll have to look for some of the same in those.

12. Hello! I'm your newest follower and happy to be! Great blog! Come visit!
    Jessica

13. Thanks for the follow. I'm now following you. So very nice to meet you.

14. Hi, just following your blog some more from the other day =).

15. Chavonne says:

Thanks for following my blog, I am following back :)

16. Mrs. Mommy says:

Thanks for visiting my blog and for the comment. Returning the favor. Looking forward to reading :)

Amy

17. Julia says:

Thanks for visiting from the hop on on Monday! I've returned the follow! Enjoyed the read!

18. SUMMERSTEAD says:

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I've noticed that a lot of old Disney movies are pretty dark and inappropriate. Kinda makes you wonder what kind of weirdos came up with those stories!

19. I'm not sure I've ever seen that movie. If I did I was really little and don't remember it.
    I'm following you back from the hop. Thanks for stopping by!

20. Maves Faves says:

Thanks for stopping by. I am now one of your newest followers.

21. Thanks for following my blog! Following you back! Have a great day!

22. WarmSunshine says:

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and linking up with me on the perfect line. Returning the favor and following you via GFC :)

23. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Look forward to reading your next post…

24. Anonymous says:

Thanks for stopping by and following my blog! I’m now following yours too! Thrifty and Frugal by Debbie and Lavender Cove and on Twitter @thrftyandfrugal

25. Nishana says:

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I am following your blog now.

26. MiMi says:

I've seen Pinnochio but I never would have picked that one.

27. PebblesGood says:

I am a new follower from the Tuesday Blog hop. Hope you have a great week. Please stop by and follow me back. http://agigglesaysitall.blogspot.com/

28. Good Evening,

Just followed you back from Peace, Love and Savings.

Thanks for stopping by!

29. Coupon Queen says:

Well I always thought Pinocchio was dark but it did what it was ment to do in the 1800s, it kept the children from telling lies. Guess before the internet kids really did read. ;) Disney sure didn't lighten that up for the movie version. Thanks so much for the follow today, I am following back.

30. Hey Shauna – thanks so much for the follow – you see my miserable 11…haahahahaha – Thanks so much – I love your blog as well – Light a fiya to that A$$…lol

31. Katie says:

Pinocchio was kind of a weird movie. I was always scared of it as a kid.

32. ChicnSavvy says:

Returning the follow from the Tuesday Blog Hop! That is crazy I never realized that about the movie either!!!