What would Leo Tolstoy say about gay marriage?

ImageIn case you didn’t see the evening news, Hillary Clinton is now in favor of gay marriage. And I quote “now” because the particular affiliate (yes, I meant to say affiliate) that I watch made sure to report her history of dissent. In 2004, in a widely published interview, she made it explicitly clear that she did not support same-sex marriage. Four years later, she again spoke against it while campaigning for a presidential nomination. Of course, her husband did sign the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996 (a Bill – yes, that was a pun – that proclaimed marriage as a union between a man and a woman) so what was the girl supposed to do??

All the same, while admittedly I am not a fan of Ms. Clinton, I applaud her courage at being able to disclose her change in opinion. And I wholeheartedly bash those that would throw her decade-old views back in her face.

Change, is what we do. Change, is what make us human. And only a true, sound mind is capable of change.

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” ~ Leo Tolstoy

BTW, I have done my fair share of 180’s – and thankfully, in doing so, I myself have become much more tolerant of so many things … this post was inspired in part by, well, the evening news and the Daily Prompt from March 14 (yes, I’m late – again) “Tell us about a time you did a 180 – changed your views on something, reversed a decision, or acted in a way you ordinarily don’t.”

1. Politically speaking, until fairly recently (within the last three to five years), supporting same-sex marriage or any number of LGBT rights issues was political suicide because the majority of potential voters had different opinions. Today, it’s politically advantageous (if you’re a Democrat) to support LGBT equality–and that’s presently summed up in same-sex marriage, regardless of the fact that there are many other important issues facing the queer community, such as workplace protections and the prevention of violent hate crimes. If Hilary didn’t reverse her opinion, she would appear a much weaker candidate on the Democratic ticket. I wouldn’t be surprised if (a) she’s always been a supporter but couldn’t voice her opinions or (b) as with the rest of the country, she’s finally come around, spurred along by the contemporary narratives of the Democratic party.

1. SHAUNA says:

Awesome comment – so sorry I’m just now reading it! I like your assessment of Hilary’s change … and I agree, perhaps she was always a supporter but didnt think she could voice that Maybe. Either way I appreciate your insight!

1. I appreciated your post as well. Thanks for the reply!

2. This is an original response to prompt. So goes the nation, Hillary. It was time.

1. SHAUNA says:

Thank you – and so sorry I’m just now reading through these comments. And agreed, yes, it was/is time.

3. lifelessons says:

I guess the reason people change their minds doesn’t matter that much so long as they act on that change of mind. Yay Hillary. https://grieflessons.wordpress.com/2015/05/31/straight-ahead/

4. baka8 says:

So, can we expect another 180, yet again, by the time Hilary and Michelle kick off the girl-girl pres. ticket? I guess that would be a power house topic there.

1. snosler says:

Let them run … BTW, you sound like my husband – he swears that’s up Michelle’s sleeve …

5. Marisa says:

This was enlightening to me. I didn’t realize Hillary had changed her stance (at least publicly) on gay marriage. Kudos to her and to you for coming up with an alternative take on this question!

1. snosler says:

I agree – hopefully she really has changed her mind and it isn;t a political ploy :)

1. baka8 says:

Some things are as clear as the nose on your face,eh? Or is that just how I perceive it THE BEST WAY!

2. snosler says:

Unfortunately far too many of us look past our nose for he answers …

6. Mona says:

An interesting take on the the Daily prompt challenge… I like it! While most of us (all of us?) wrote about our 180’s, you didn’t limit yourself to the question. :)

1. snosler says:

Thank you … it just occurred to me when I saw her on the news …

7. Wow that’s actually really interesting. I was unaware of the fact that she changed her mind on the issue!

1. snosler says:

I know … I hope she truly feels that way and that it isn’t just for political gain …

8. MiMi says:

My only word here would be: As long as she didn’t suddenly CHANGE her opinion because of a political gain. They all tend to do that at some point or other.

1. snosler says:

Agreed. That’s exactly what my husband said – I get it though … she’s gotta do what serves her greater purposes as a politician I guess :)